Tuesday 25 February 2014

HDM1.1 Tool - Tron "Derezzed" looking procedural RBD activation and shattering (Houdini)

A "Tron: Legacy" character getting "derezzed"  Credit: Disney, Source:cnet.com                                   HDM 1.1 Tool

Inspired with research for "Tron Legacy" done in Digital Domain and Dreamworks Animation I recreated same effect using my HDM Tool for procedural activation / propagation of hundred of thousands 3D pixel looking rigid bodies. Here are some of close up renders:


So, effect itself is broken into two mayor parts: "3D pixels" and their procedural activation. 3D pixels are generated from 
object volume, similar techniques as I used in one of my previous posts  Tron:Legacy.:..::..digitizer..:..::. ;-] in 3DS Max but this time same techniques is applied in Houdini. For procedural activation I used my HDM Tool also shown in previous 
post. Here is how 3D pixels are activated using HDM Tool:



3D Pixels will spread through geometry "pixelating" everything. Here are some close up renders showing propagation


...and final animation as well:



Hope you like it and sorry for poor modeling :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I previously emailed you, I was just wondering if I would be able to know how to make the tool for this or if you could supply us with a tutorial or download, thank you so much! it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      there are few ways to do it, you could do it just by filling character volume with particles and then activate those particles by transferring "active" attribute onto inactive particles. Once activated just instance or copy stamp some geometry onto those particles.
      To get cubes or "3d pixels" modify default Houdini shatter node. Hope this helps. Thank you.

      Delete